Only Kenyan citizens (including dual citizens) who reside and have studied in Kenya may apply through the UWC National Committee of Kenya. The selection process is highly competitive and rigorous! Make sure to follow all instructions in the application, and submit your application materials in on time.
APPLICATIONS HAVE NOW CLOSED
Important information to consider before applying:
- The UWC program is a two-year program based on the International Baccalaureate (I.B.) program. Students who complete the program successfully will thus graduate with an I.B. diploma. This is NOT a university program hence students will proceed to university either in their home country or study abroad. Typically most of our students go on to study at the most prestigious universities across the globe with full or partial academic scholarships.
- The UWC National Committee of Kenya does not guarantee that all our applicants will receive scholarships to fund their study at the various colleges. Each year we receive offers from the colleges with funding levels from 0 – 100%. The committee will decide on the various placements based on merit and ability to cover a partial or unfunded place. Students who are awarded a full or partial scholarship should note that some offers do not cover airfare to and from their college and pocket money during the academic year. There are also other costs such as medical insurance, purchase of academic materials and travel during short holidays that will be covered by the student’s family.
- Once an offer is made to a student, it is considered final. We are unable to amend the terms of the offer with regards to the location of the college or funding level. Students who accept a place with partial or no funding must commit to cover the costs of their studies. We will require a letter of commitment to be signed by the student and their parent(s) or guardian(s) for the same.
Who can apply?
- Applicants must be Kenyan citizens (including dual citizens) who reside in Kenya and have completed their high school education in Kenya.
- Applicants must be 18 years or younger by September 2016. This means that the applicant’s date of birth must be after January 1998.
- Applicants who have previously applied to UWC, either via direct application to the colleges or via a national committee in another country, must provide this information to us at the time of application. Failure to do so will result in a cancelled application.
- Applicants must communicate with their parent(s) of guardian(s) on their intention to apply to the UWC. We will require a signed consent form for this.
|November 1, 2016 - January 31, 2017||UWC Kenya National Committee accepting applications|
|February 2017||Interviews conducted in Nairobi|
|March 2017||Candidates informed of successful nomination|
|May - August 2017||Sign and return letters of commitment, Update vaccinations and make travel arrangements|
|Late August/Early September 2017||Commence the UWC experience! For UWC Waterford Kamhlaba in Swaziland, school will begin in January 2018 due to the southern hemisphere school calendar|
Places in UWC are offered solely on overall merit, which includes potential, social and community awareness, and academic achievement. The most important criterion is all-round ability. Successful applicants are expected to have displayed some degree of community involvement and service, and their interests in all-round activities including those of a cultural nature will be taken into account in selecting candidates. Achievement, ability and aptitude, together with the ability to think and work independently, as well as social and cultural awareness are important qualities. Experience has shown that successful students are those who come with a clear awareness of the aims of the UWC movement and a personal commitment to contribute to them.
The UWC Candidate we are looking for will typically have the following qualities:
- Intellectual curiosity and motivation: A genuine urge to learn about the world around him/her and the ability to recognize the details and grasp the breadth of issues involved in any given topic and to analyse them thoroughly.
- Active commitment: The ability to develop and readiness to reflect, question and confront one’s own values, to measure one’s behaviour within family and community against one’s values, and to act on their own belief’s and accordingly and responsibly.
- Social Competence: The ability and readiness to make contact with other people, to interact respectfully with them, to work together with them, in a team and to achieve solutions together. It means the ability to express oneself adequately in different situations and address oneself adequately to others in language, gestures, and mimics.
- Personal responsibility and integrity: Ability to look after him/herself physically and emotionally during the challenging and transforming experience a UWC offers, ‘Integrity’ means the personal motivation to adhere to UWC’s ethical principles also some humility and ability to listen and value another person’s opinion and experience.
- Motivation for UWC: Passion, ability and serious incentive to actively promote the UWC values
UWC Kenya 2017 Application
UWC Kenya 2017 Application
Only Kenyan citizens (including dual citizens) who reside and have studied in Kenya may apply through the UWC National Committee of Kenya. The selection process is highly competitive and rigorous! Make sure to follow all instructions carefully and submit your application materials in on time.
A full application package consists of:
- Completed and signed UWC Kenya Application form found here
- Two letters of recommendation (one letter has to come from a teacher from your high school)
- Complete official transcripts for the last two years of high school
- KCSE results slip / IGSE final exam results (upon receipt of the same)
- Copy of birth certificate
- Signed consent form by parent(s) or guardian(s)
For your application to be considered complete, please submit all the above materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “UWC Kenya 2017 Application” on or before 31stJanuary, 2017.